Sunday, April 5, 2015

Quilt by English quilter Olga Norris 04-05-15

Olga sent me a correction on this post.  She says: This particular piece is cotton cut back to silk dupion, with cotton thread stitching.  The image was printed onto computer transfer paper which was then ironed onto cotton lawn.  The coating of the transfer paper fixes the cotton so that it does not fray, and so it is easy to cut back to the silk. 04-08-15
 
 
Olga Norris is one of the quiltmakers I found by browsing the Internet.  Her work is very detailed and the four pieces I bought are very small.   I hang them as a group on my wall and can't help but examine her careful stitching whenever I am close by.  It is sort of like Kantha, but each stitch is so tiny and so individual - uniquely Olga.
 
 
"The Crow's Story"  Olga Norris - England 2012  7"x7"
Silk with cotton backing, silk thread. Hand appliqued and quilted.

The black outlines show the black backing underneath.

Notice how she does the contour stitching to the shape of the head and body.

This is her elegant label printed on the computer printer.
Her initials O.N. form the sky. 
 
#   #   #

3 comments:

Regina B Dunn said...

Such beauty in every detail. Thanks for showing us.

Anonymous said...

Has she needleturned the coloured fabric or is it raw edge ?

I can see why you are fascinated.

Hugz Helen from Hobart


PS I have posted this as anonymous as the comments setting won't accept anything else.

Del said...

Dear Helen from Hobart...
Thanks for your comment on my blog. The silk Olga uses is very stiff, almost like paper, and does not ravel on the edges, so she just leaves it raw. I've posted two of her little quilts previously, click on her name on the side bar. Del