Monday, December 23, 2013

"A Rash of Flamingoes" Ruth B. McDowell 12-22-13

Just a few weeks before the current exhibit was hung at Visions Art Museum an estate auction company in Olympia, WA, contacted Ruth McDowell (using the contact on the quilt label - hint, hint) about this quilt which they found in the possessions of a lady who had recently died. The estate people had never seen anything like it and had no idea of its value.
After talking to the lady, Ruth told her that she might know someone who would be interested in buying the quilt and gave her my number.  Then she called me.  I could hardly wait.  When the call came I told the lady that I could not go to Olympia for an auction, but I was interested in buying the quilt outright.  We came to agreement on the price and I called my credit card company to warn them - my limit isn't very high and wouldn't cover the quilt.  And the estate company wanted either cash or credit card.  They shipped the quilt and I had just enough time to photograph it and get the photo in the gallery guide.  Whew.  Since I was taking it to VAM I didn't hang it in my house, so the first time I ever saw the quilt on the wall was at the gallery.  It looks fabulous!  Thanks to Ruth for making the quilt and for making my connection.



"A Rash of Flamingoes"  2000  Ruth B. McDowell - Colrain, MA  100"W x 52"L
Commercial, hand-dyed, batik cotton fabric; cotton batting, cotton threads.
Machine pieced and quilted.

This quilt appears in Ruth's book "Fabric Journey", publ by C and T 2005. and in "Ruth B. McDowell's Design Workshop" publ by C and T 2007.

Ruth sold this quilt in 2000 to a lady who lived in Alaska, so I'm happy that the Flamingos are finally in the sunshine of sunny Southern California.



Ruth does such amazing things with her fabric choices.  Who else would use one fabric between the legs and others in the background? 


A rather realistic eye staring out at us.


Notice the flowery fabrics (like 30s reproductions) used for feathers.
I think of the silvery ribbon fabric at the bottom left as the water the flamingos are wading in.



The value contrasts make these guys look three dimensional.


This is a quilt I could hang with the back out.  Merimekko is wonderful, isn't it?



A fancy label.  Notice that there is a street address so someone can contact the artist.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Brenda said...

I have long admired this Ruth McDowell quilt in particular and am glad it has found a new home in the collection.

Quiltedtime said...

Another good reason to put contact information on the back of a quilt. It makes me shudder to think that someone would have not recognized the value of this glorious quilt and sold it for pennies on the dollar.

Dolores said...

I'm excited for you to own this marvelous quilt of Ruth's!!! YEAH!!!!

Susan Turney said...

OMG!!! I have never seen this quilt in photos. It's the most amazing quilt I think I've ever seen. The colors and fabrics are delicious. I'm so happy it's joined your collection because who else would share it at exhibits like you do? Hopefully some day I'll see it in person!

Sonia said...

So glad you have added this wonderful piece to your collection. When I first began to quilt Ruth was my inspiration. I made one quilt using a Ruth pattern and quickly realized that Ruth is Ruth and there was no point in continuing on that path. Her use of prints is awe inspiring. I would pay to tour her stash. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous quilt to own. Ruth has a awesome use of fabrics, no one else has can compare. I am sure Ruth was glad it has a good home.

Loretta said...

Fabulous quilt and fabulous acquisition! Stay well.

Ellen Lindner said...

I've always loved this quilt! You're lucky to aquire it! Do you have Ruth's book in which she talks about it?

Martha Ginn said...

Del, yours is a great home for those flamingos. Getting them back to a warmer climate was something like a rescue. Thanks for sharing with us all.
Martha Ginn

Rayna said...

Lucky you! I know how much you love Ruth's work and this is drop-dead gorgeous. Enjoy every inch of it - what a great Christmas present to yourself.
love, Rayna

Del said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments. Ruth is very happy to have the quilt in TCQC so it is available for exhibits. It will be in Marion, IN, as part of a major exhibit of her work, when Ruth is inducted into the Quilter's Hall of Fame in July. The exhibit there will continue to October. This quilt appears in Ruth's book "Fabric Journey" publ. 2005 C&T.

Wen said...

Lovely work. Ruth is an inspiration! Congrats!

Suzanne Kistler said...

I love, love, LOVE this quilt!! I am so glad to hear that it's come into your collection! What a truly delightful shock it must have been to get the call. I would have been THRILLED! yay! Del!! Thanks for sharing your collection so generously with the rest of us!

Cindy Cooksey said...

It's truly a magnificent quilt! So colorful, playful, artful. Lucky you!