Friday, May 25, 2012

"Secrets & Stories" at VAM 05-25-12

The current exhibit at Visions Art Museum is worth a visit.  Andrea Bacal, President of Quilt Visions, selected nine artists whose work includes story-telling themes were invited to show their work.  There is a nice range of clearly stated tales and images that require a some thinking.  The technical work is good, done by artists who have learned their craft.  Look from a distance and then move in close to see the details and the small surprises tucked into the overall image.
The artists include Rachel Brumer, Michael Cummings, Karen Cunagin,Wendy Huhn, Carolyn Mazloomi, Lori Lupe Pelish, Wendeane Ke'aka Stitt, Susan Shie, Anna Torma.  

"Cross the Road"  Karen Cunagin - Fallbrook, CA  2011  54"W x 55"L
Fused applique, piecing, machine quilting.  Commercial cotton fabrics.
See the last picture for the wall label for this quilt.   www.karencunagin.com
Karen has given me permission to post this quilt to my Blog.  Thanks, Karen.

  
Such an elegant, proud fellow, striding out to "cross the road". 
Great selection for a background fabric.  

 
Here is a little friend offering a snack - striped worms are extra tasty, as everyone knows.
 
This traditional block from the 1930's (shown in Brackman as 3345) done in gutsy colors goes so well with this big guy.  I'm always attracted to art quilts that include traditional blocks - a reference to the original form.

With this exhibit VAM presents more information about the quilts on the wall labels, something I hope they will continue in the future.  It is a great way to educate and promote quilts in any form.  If a viewer wants to read them, they can, if not, they can just ignore them.
  Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Thank you Del, and thank you Karen. A very special quilt and very special words...they have arrived for me, perhaps just at the right moment to be appreciated. Now, I hope, I have the courage to cross the road. ;)

Janet Hovde said...

Del, I LOVE this chicken quilt. I invite you to check out my website, as I, too, have a chicken quilt. "She was Chicken, but she Crossed the Road, Anyway." Found you thru SAQA. Janet www.janethovde.com