Wednesday, February 8, 2012

More on Visions Art Museum Del Thomas Gallery 02-07-12

I drove down to San Diego again today to attend the annual VAM Volunteers' Brunch and to give some details on the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection quilts for those volunteers who conduct tours of the galleries.  I took a few more pictures, particularly the two below that I failed to snap on Friday.  I will still post a Picasa album with many more pictures - as soon as I can squeeze the editing and captioning into my day.

Here is the gallery sign over the entrance from the foyer into the gallery.  I had asked that it not be "in your face" - no neon, no flashing lights - just a simple unobtrusive sign.  And that is what it is.  It is a little high for anyone to take a picture of me with the sign, but that is okay, there are enough pictures of me taken in the past week!  Enough to last several lifetimes.
 
 
And many of them were taken in front of the wall of forty twelve-inch square quilts.  Unfortunately, when I am standing in front of the quilts I block out six of those in the center.  Now, if I lost some weight I might only block out four, which is a good idea, but not relevant to the current exhibit.  But I do apologize to those artists whose work is blocked in most of the pictures taken on Friday. 
On the left side is a table with a stack of gallery guides that give title, artist, home state/country and year of creation along with a little information about each quilt.  Above this table is a diagram showing the title and maker of each quilt.   On the right side are some wool vessels that are for sale in the gift shop located in the foyer where these quilts are hanging.

Top row: Judith Roderick, Kristin LaFlamme, Terry Grant, Sherry Kleinman, Nelda Warkentin, Els Vereycken, Bodil Gardner, Kirsten Duncan.   
2nd row:  K. Grace Howes, Sue Benner, Aileyn Renli Ecob, Karen Rips, C. Terry Meyer, Brenda Gael Smith, K.Velis Turan, Gerri Congdon.  
 3rd row: Terry Grant, Mary Pal, Doria Anne Goocher, Linda Colsh, Polly Bech, Els Vereycken, Ruth Powers, Sue Dennis.  
4th row: Thom Atkins, Sandra Hart, Joan Sowada, Diane Perin Hock, Terri Stegmiller, Sally Sellers, Cynthia St. Charles, Chris Hanson.   
5th row: Julia Zgliniec, Nanette Fleischman, Nikki Wheeler, Natalya Aikens, B.J. Adams, Nancy Morgan, Catherine Kleeman, Deborah Boschert.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ta Del for the names to quilts! You deserve all the accolades plus more!

Rayna said...

Quite a collection! Will I ever get there to see it in person? I hope so!

Anonymous said...

What a great presentation of your exhibit. The quilts are fabulous, and enjoyed hearing about your collecting. Congratulations!
Joann

Karen said...

Your phot of the gallery name is way better than mine, and thanks for naming all the artists Del

Loretta said...

A very, very special collection of quilts and quilt artists. Thank you so much.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

I am so honored! Thank you!

Karen S Musgrave said...

Congratulations! Well deserved!

Ruth Powers said...

The sign is perfect! Thanks for all of the artist's names, I'm honored to be in such great company!!

Cathy Kleeman said...

I'm so very pleased to be a part of this collection. Thanks, Del!