Monday, January 23, 2012

Terry Grant quilt in TCQC 01-22-12

I haven't yet recovered from receiving twelve wonderful twelve-inch square gift quilts from the "Twelves" as a thank you for the TCQC sponsorship of their exhibit in the three Quilt Festivals - Houston, Cincinnati and Long Beach.  Since I wasn't able to go to Houston they delegated Karen Rips to carry the quilts back to SCalifornia to present them to me and we were finally able to arrange a date and a meeting place in early December.  I was (as the Aussies say) gobsmacked!.  It is a wonderful gift and a great addition to the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection. 
When the quilts were selected for the exhibit of twelve-inch square quilts at Visions Art Museum we had to decide which of the 58 12" quilts in the Collection were going to fit in the forty available spaces - a very difficult task.   Some were not quite the right size, we had too many dark quilts, the color didn't quite go with anything else, etc., the cuts were made.  For the next month I will share with you some of those that will not be shown - through no fault of their own! 
"Steller's Jay"  Terry Grant - Beaverton, OR  2011  12" x 12"
Cotton fabrics.  Machine applique and quilting.

A colorful fabric selection to back this cheeky devil that will chase crows and cats and hawks and small dogs and someone bending over in their garden.  I don't know how the artists decided on the designs they used, but I'm sure that Terry chose to do a bird because she knows that I am a "birder" and this bird in particular because it is a resident of the West which always makes its presence known.   At certain times of the year there are Steller's in my yard, but every trip anywhere west of the Rockies will mark this bird on my list.  Terry has used her unique technique of outlining the main subject in black to give an almost 3-D effect.  See the tutorial on her Blog: http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/2006/04/my-fusing-method.html
The wispy weeds and dotted fabric add to the depth in the background, while the quilting lines contribute a "patio" floor.    
 
A simple hand inked label with a dedication is nicely done.  I had to smile at the backing fabric - I have always liked this design, but have never used it in a quilt, except on the back!  Thanks, Terry.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

I saw lots of stellar jays when I was in Mendocino in December 2011. Thanks to Terry's quilt, I knew exactly what the bird was straight away.

Thank you for your generous support of the Twelve by Twelve International Art Quilt Challenge. Your sponsorship enables us to share our work with others "in the cloth". What a joy and privilege.

Christine Thresh said...

What a splendid thank you. Terry's bird is perfect for you. I love it.

Deborah Boschert said...

I'm so happy to see this quilt again. When 9 of the 12s were together in Houston, we had a chance to "show and tell" the quilts we made for you. I am so happy that you are enjoying them. Thanks AGAIN for all your support and enthusiasm. I can't wait to see images from the Visions 12x12 show. How exciting!

Terry Grant said...

I had a stellars jay at my feeder today--bossy guy chased all the sweet little birds away. They are a bit obnoxious, but so striking that I love them anyway.

Kristin L said...

Terry has a way with birds. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, such nice present!