Sunday, January 8, 2012

Caryl Bryer Fallert quilt is new to TCQC 01-08-12

"Feather Study #19"  Caryl Bryer Fallert  2001  26.5" x 26.5"
This quilt is from the Visions Art Museum auction in November, donated by a patron.  I wasn't able to attend the auction, so I had a surrogate bidder.  Thanks, Beth.  I think the actual quilt is brighter than this image - just what we need to brighten our winter days.   The design, the values and the color all combine to lend a curved feeling to the feather - when I stand back to look it almost becomes 3-D. 

Caryl is such a fabulous designer and a great technician.  Would that all our piecing and quilting were as precise as hers.




She applies a sleeve both top and bottom, although I can't imagine any of her quilts not hanging perfectly straight and perfectly flat without weighing the bottom. 

On all the CBF quilts in TCQC the label is on the top sleeve in the middle.  It is a style I find annoying when I am looking through a pile of quilts with the labels all on either of the bottom corners.  However, it would be hard to not recognize even the back of her quilts.

Caryl's website is www.bryerpatch.com
To see more of her feather series:   http://www.bryerpatch.com/gallery/feather_study_quilts.htm
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Gisela Towner said...

So bright and lovely to look at on this cold, gray winter morning...Thanks!

Loretta said...

Oh my! A really wonderful piece.

Christine Thresh said...

I'm glad you won the bid. Maybe I'll see it in person one day. It is a bright, lovely quilt.

Susan Turney said...

I'm so envious. Her work is so exciting!

Martha Ginn said...

CBF's work is so amazing. And she's a great teacher, too. I was privileged to take a four-day class at her studio in Nov. 09. This made it possible to design and stitch my latest piece, "Migration." You can see it on my blog, and it may remind you of Caryl's geese, only much simpler!
www.marthaginn.blogspot.com

Corky said...

I own a CBF quilt too! Guess it was the start of the Ledbetter quilt collection! It's not nearly as nice as the one you own though. I bought it the year I took her class at Asilomar.