Monday, January 31, 2011

"Calla Lily" by Aileyn Ecob part of TCQC 01-30-11

This quilt was part of the Studio Art Quilt Associates 2010 online auction.



"Calla Lily" Aileyn Ecob - Walnut Creek, CA 2010 12" x 12"
Hand appliqued, Hand quilted, Shaded with Tsukeniko Inks.


Aileyn explains Why Calla Lilies?  "Calla lilies are one of my favorite flowers - I grow them, photograph them and use their elegant image in my quilts."


I know Aileyn from classes at Empty Spools at Asilomar in Pacific Grove, CA. One year it was a class with Jane Sassaman teaching us how to stylize motifs. It was a great class and the calla lily that Aileyn did was a gorgeous shape, still identifiable as a calla lily, but so elegant and smooth.  I have always coveted that piece. And then in 2008 I walked into Pacific International Quilt Festival and the very first quilt I saw was the one below, , not the one started in Jane's class, but another sophisticated design.






Isn't that a beautiful piece of work? I'm pretty certain there was a ribbon hanging on the quilt, as there are on so many of Aileyn's quilts. Her designs are always elegant and her technical skills are fabulous. I am so proud to have one of her quilts in the Collection.
See Aileyn's work at http://www.fiberonthewall.com/

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gaby Prado. said...

Que trabajos más hermosos ♥!!! pasa linda semana :o)

Corky said...

Beautiful work!

Suzanne Kistler said...

I'm pretty sure she won Best Handworkmanship with this quilt. It took my breath away.