Sunday, December 12, 2010

Parrots on the TCQC 12-12-10

Here is another purchase from the SAQA online 2010 auction. It caught my eye immediately - the images are so crisp and the color is perfectly 'parrot-y'. Sherry likes to watch the large flock of parrots that live in her area, as I like to watch those that live in the city of Orange.

"Treetop Parrots of the Palisades" Sherry Kleinman 2010 12" x 12"
Painted, machine pieced, machine quilted.
Sherry says about her piece: "Treetop Parrots of the Palisades" was inspired by the many free flying parrots (former pets) flying around my neighborhood here in Pacific Palisades. My piece is painted with water-soluble media (crayons and pencils) on raw canvas and then machine stitched."

The tiny red buttons add texture and color.


But I'm not so sure about the lady bug and bee buttons. I find them distracting.

Sherry has done dense quilting over the entire design and the piece is very flat.

The backing fabric appears to be a handdye, but it might be a batik - I can't tell for sure.
This is a great addition to the Collection. I am a bird lover and have made a number of bird quilts in the past. However, I haven't found a lot of bird quilts to add to the Collection, I hope this is the first of many.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

I really like this.
I know you love birds and put tiny images of them in your quilts.
This is a great one for your collection.

Rayna said...

Sherry is very talented.

June said...

You probably shouldn't have said that about adding bird quilts to your collection--I'm already digging around for more crows.

Maybe I should branch out. Let's see -- corvidae are good for watching at the moment -- ravens, blue jays -- and the ubiquitous Harris sparrow. Unfortunately my eyes can't really see the funny little birds that fly through and devour the firethorn seeds -- just the shaking of the limbs and an occasional flash is all that's visible.

But there's always the robins -- they'll return in flocks in a couple weeks. Can one do a non-cliched robin -- "the north wind doth blow and we shall have snow and what will the robin do then, poor thing?" Go south, of course! And say hello to you.

I'm kidding, of course. Right now, I'm doing hang tags for wire faces -- on quilted fabric. Not a bird in sight.