Sunday, April 5, 2009

This quilt started it all. 04-06-09

"Straight Furrow Log Cabin" Judy Mathieson 1985
20"W x 14"L
This is the quilt that lit the collecting bug in me. The first time I bid in an auction, the first quilt I ever purchased and the first one I hung on the wall (except my own pitiful creations). At the time Judy lived in the San Fernando Valley and belonged to a QGuild which held an auction along with their QShow. Quilt auctions were not very common then and people wondered if it would go over with those who attended the QShow. I don't know how much they made from their auction, but they wrung every penny out of me. I was bidding against someone who wanted this piece as much as I did, but she had her husband along and he finally put his foot down. I carried the quilt home, hung it on my wall and it has been there most of the last twenty years. I do take it down to vacuum and let it rest for a month or so, but it goes back on the wall and remains one of my most favorite quilts. It is also one of a very few hand quilted pieces in the TCQC.

In the last 20+ years Judy has become a well-known quilt maker, author, teacher and THE expert on intricate stars. I think it is interesting to see something she made early in her quilting career. The color combination is wonderful and the raw silk absorbs the light, creating a visual depth and richness of color not possible in fibers that reflect the light.

See Judy's website http://www.judymathieson.com/

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

bailey said...

Del, I just wanted to give you a giant THANK YOU for taking the time to post all the wonderful quilts...it is such a joy to not only see the wide variety of quilts but to also learn so much about their construction and more about their makers. Your blog is such a gift!
vicki

Vivika said...

Del, When I lived in Marin 10 years ago I took a class with Judy M at a local quilt shop. Her design and choice of color and texture are evident even in her early pieces. How lucky you are to have such a great variation in style and subject matter within your collection.

Vivika

Martha Ginn said...

How neat to see Judy's early work in light of her intricate compass quilts. I have felt like one of her groupies ever since I met her in Houston in the late 1980s.
Martha Ginn

Suzanne Kistler said...

Beautiful!

The Valley Oak Quilters are looking forward to your trunk show this week. I was too, but my husband has a procedure scheduled, and so, my schedule has been pre-empted. I know that my friends will tell me ALL about it, and I'm sorry to be missing it!

Anonymous said...

Stunner!
Glad you are back.
joan

meggie said...

Your blog is a gift, with so much information.